Rear View - a different perspective

I was riding home from work the other day, taking in the sights and sounds of the trip, caught up in the journey, when suddenly I noticed a police car looming up behind me in my rear view mirror.

Terror struck me as I wondered, "How long has he been following me? What could he have seen me do?"

I started thinking about my trip in reverse, from the perspective of a how a traffic cop would have seen it.

"Did he see me roll through that four way stop without putting my feet down? Would he believe me if I said I stopped, if I didn't stop long enough to touch down?"

"What is the speed limit through here, anyway? Would he believe me if I claimed I was in unfamiliar territory and had missed the speed limit sign?"

"Did I break any laws when I passed that left-turning car who ha d stopped in my lane by riding around him on the right? I certainly didn't do anything I haven't seen cagers do every day."

I kept hoping, at every major intersection, that he would turn right or left, but instead he kept following me. Surely if he were going to stop me, he'd have done so by now.

Unable to take the suspense any longer, I finally turned down some side street just for the sake of knowing whether he was truly tailing me or not. I turned right and held my breath, again watching my rear view mirrors. Would he turn onto the street after me, or keep going?

Thankfully, he passed me by and kept going. I breathed a great sigh of relief and continued home.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I've had similar thoughts without a police car in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @helmetorheels me too, but the presence of a polce officer adds to the stress and anxiety. :)

    ReplyDelete