A road I've never been...

After a very rough year last year, with hardly any saddle time, I'm happy to report that my motorcycle is getting plenty of use this year.

Mostly my saddle time is commute time.  I enjoy riding to work and find it turns a mundane task into an enjoyable one -- in many ways the highlight of my day.

But the same commute on the same route every day -- even on a motorcycle -- can get a little boring.

So I've tried something different this week -- I'm trying to find a different route home every night.

Mine is a suburban commute, and on my way to work I'm focused on arriving on time and safely.  But on my way home, I can take a more relaxed approach.  I can afford to take a wrong turn and backtrack in order to find my way again.

I'm rediscovering routes that I took years ago and had somehow forgotten.  I'm trying to find new passageways that take me through interesting neighborhoods, and along interesting roads.

I'd rather follow a winding road through a tree-lined subdivision than race from stoplight to stoplight on a four-laned major thoroughfare.  I'd rather take River Road than 96th street.

You win some and you lose some.  Tonight I found some new routes, but ended sitting on a four-laned thoroughfare, in 90 degree heat, with road construction and little forward motion.  That's the worst! 

They can't all be winners. 

Tomorrow, I'll choose a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment