Ouch, Damn

Ouch, Damn, my aching pride!

Okay, I took my new-to-me Magna V30 for a spin tonight, and had my first encounter with asphalt.

I was wearing a full face helmet and a leather cruiser jacket, blue jeans and boots.

I was practicing my riding skills, driving through the subdivisions and neighborhoods near my home.

I took a turn a little wide and encountered a patch of loose gravel on the outside of the curve.

Next thing I know I'm scraping on asphalt, my bike first landing on my left leg, then spinning on in front of me. I lowsided and ground to a halt.

I've replayed it over and over in my head trying to think of what I did wrong, what I should've done differently.

I know I did a couple of things wrong. I shouldn't have gotten so close to the outside of the curve. I shouldn't have focused on the patch of gravel that I wanted to avoid; I should've looked through the turn to where I wanted to be.

I shouldn't have driven so close to dark. I was trying to squeeze a ride into the day before sunset, and I got caught in the twilight.

Honest to God, as I'm sliding down the asphalt, I'm thinking, "I can't believe I dropped my new bike!" It's new to me; I only posted the story of my getting it from Pennsylvania earlier today.

I did a few things right, too. I was geared up. My helmet did not touch the asphalt; at least there's no signs of road rash on it. I was wearing a leather jacket. I'm glad I opted for leather instead of the denim jacket I had been wearing.

I saw how easily the blue jeans shredded when in contact with asphalt -- makes me want to run out and buy leather riding pants to complete my outfit. My bloody left knee is what hurts the most -- except for my pride.

At least I wasn't riding in traffic. No one was right behind me to run me over when I took my little spill.

After collecting my wits by the side of the road, I was able to pick up the bike and ride it home. I guess that makes it an okay trip!

Now I need to tape up the dangling left side turn signals, front and rear, bend my headlight case back together, touch up the bright shiny scrapes on my clutch lever. Dammit if I don't have a little road rash on the muffler too -- dammit it was a beautiful bike until I went and screwed it up.

I guess I'm writing to ask for some sympathy or some advice or something. Chew me out if that's what I need but take it easy on me, I've had a hard day.

Thanks,
The Rat

1984 Honda Magna V30 Red "Katie"
1984 Honda Magna V30 Black -- as yet unnamed

No comments:

Post a Comment