Gold Wing?

I don't know how I started thinking along these lines, but I've heard really good things about Gold Wings.

They are supposed to be really good and solid. They'll run forever.

Let's review my wish list for a bike:

Shaft drive
Not a Harley look-a-like
750cc at least
1300cc at most
Easy to maintain
Mechanically reliable
Capable of carrying a passenger
Upright seating position
Made in sufficient quantities to ensure availability of parts.
Available for under $3000

What fits this bill?

Not the latest shadows, they are feet-out-in-front seating position and Harley-look-a-likes.

Not a 90's era Magna. Even though they have a distinctive look and great power, their V4 power-train makes me leery. I remember how hard it was to check the valves and change the carbs on the V30. Heck it was a PITA just to change the plugs. There has to be a more maintainable bike than a V4.

The Suzuki Marauder has a chain, but otherwise has great looks and meets everything else I want. They weren't made prior to the late 90's, so I won't find one in my price range.

The Suzuki Intruder didn't really impress me with its power. I bet a twin is way easier to work on than a V4 though.

The KZ750 with its inline 4 just didn't impress me either. I'm sure four-in-a-row is easier to maintain than V4, but I just don't like the feel of it. I like something a bit more torquey.

What about a Gold Wing? What is it that put this in my head? I must've seen a picture of a Gold Wing standard without fairing or trunks, and decided that it looked pretty cool. It would have plenty of power, meet all the criteria I mentioned. It sure wouldn't look like it thought it was a Harley.

I'll have to check into that more...

No comments:

Post a Comment