Stubborn Shifting GL1100

I just bought a 1982 GL1100 and my only complaint is the difficulty in shifting.

The previous owner had the clutch cable all out of whack, so I adjusted that. But I still have a hard time. I now have the honda-recommended free-play in the clutch lever, and yet when down-shifting there is a very solid clunk.

Part of this could be due to my unfamiliarity with the bikes. My previous bike, a Honda Magna, had a hydraulically actuated clutch. It shifted like butter.

But I can't believe that all of this difference is just due to cable-actuation versus hydraulic-actuation.

The clutch plates are new, previous owner replaced < 200 miles ago. The clutch cable is new. Could they just need to "wear in"?

Is the GL1100 just a clunky shifter, and I should just get used to it? Or do I have another problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment