Hot and Heavy Motorcycles

I remember the moment I decided to sell the Goldwing. I was sitting in traffic, sweltering atop a large engine behind a large fairing which blocked all wind.

As much as I loved the bike for touring, it was hell for commuting.

I watched a guy, older than me, riding a FZ1 -- I think it was. It was lightweight. He seemed to be having fun.

I realized that I was not.

I sold the bike and bought a Magna. It was naked as opposed to fully faired. It was lightweight by comparison.

And it was much more fun.

Lately as you know I've been toying with the idea of buying a sport touring motorcycle.

Today I go for a hot ride on a hot afternoon and wonder -- will I be happy if I sit atop a large engine behind a large fairing? What will make the heavy sport tourer better than the heavy luxury tourer. The seating position? I mean, that's a big deal, but will it make a big enough difference.

It's cause for pause as I consider my next major purpose.

A Buell Ulysses -- not the touring variety -- goes by. Sporty in looks, relaxed in seating. Lighter weight than even my Magna, with as much horsepower as the ST1100.

Am I headed down the wrong road?


2 comments:

  1. Has the V-Strom dropped off your radar yet? It comes in a 1100 but I've been quite happy with the 650, even in touring trim. Not to mention the weight saved and MPG vs. the 1100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he would like the Strom if he ever rode one.

    ReplyDelete