ST1100 Good, ST1300 Bad?

When I declared my intent to buy an ST, I had some feedback from fellow riders that they had heard "vanilla handling" and "excessive engine heat" as complaints about the 1300.

I've not heard these before, from any of the moto press, but I did some research and asked the ST riders that I knew.

  • "I had an 1100 and now have a 1300. Both wonderful bikes."
  • "The ST gets a little hot in stop n go traffic, especially when the fuel level is low. It is unbearable? No. would I recommend the machine? Yes. "
  • "I own and ride daily my 1300. Yes there is heat. No it does not bother me while moving. Keep the Screen low and you have air flow, raise the windshield and you don't."
  • "Heat has never been an issue and I'm sensitive to heat."
  • "The ST1300 definitely is not a "vanilla" handling bike. With a much shorter wheelbase and steeper steering angle than the 1100 it begs to be ridden like a sport bike."
  • "The 1100 is a better touring bike and the 1300 is a better SPORT-touring bike"
  • "I like my ST1100. It doesn't handle like a sport bike, but it handles curves and twisties without an issue, and can run all day at above legal speed limits"
  • "Buy either, you won't regret it."



More obvious differences, from the specs:







Model NumberST1100ST1300
Displacement11001300
Fuel SystemCarburetorFuel Injection
DriveFinal DriveShaft




1 comment:

  1. I think the *FJR* 1300 was the Sport Touring bike which got all the bad press about excessive heat. I don't think the ST1300 has a heat problem.

    ReplyDelete