First Ride - Honda ST1300A

I met the seller in the Walmart parking lot in Wisconsin Dells, WI.

After looking over the bike a while, I took it for a brief test drive.  First, around the parking lot.  Then, for a brief ride down a rural highway in the rolling Wisconsin hills.  It was 37 degrees, I pressed the button to "roll up" the windshield, and instantly felt warmer.  Fancy!

There's a distinctive whine which varies with RPM.  I've heard this noise before.  Where was it?  Oh yes, the Honda Interceptor a friend let me test drive a couple years ago.

I had to assume the whine was a normal ST noise; I haven't spent enough time around these bikes to discern normal from abnormal sounds.



The brakes are amazing.  I guess they have to be to pull that heavy bike to a stop.  The Magna's brakes, by comparison, are lackluster.  I haven't tested the ABS, and actually don't really want to.  Maybe I should -- in a secluded parking lot, just to get a feel for them.

The rear view mirrors are the best I've seen.  On a cruiser these are typically mounted on the handlebars, and are mostly useful for seeing my own elbows.  These mirrors are below my hands, on the fairing, and get a clear view of what's behind me -- a line of sight essentially under my arms.

The suspension is rock solid.  Super smooth ride but no jostling or hunting in the corners.  Crosswinds don't affect steering like a bike with a fork-mounted windshield.  Everything I wanted in a bike, everything I disliked about the Magna.  Obviously the ST suspension is not "cheapest components possible" like they are on the 3rd Generation Magna.

The power was impressive.  The GoldWing GL1100 I used to ride was underpowered.  Not so the ST.  It's a heavy bike, and it needs the 120 horsepower to compensate for its bulk.   But thanks to its rock solid suspension and its V4 torque curve, it didn't feel like a big bike.  It felt natural and easy.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding the high-pitched whine, let me say "Welcome to gear driven cams."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I wondered what that was. That explains why I hear it on the ST and the Interceptor, but don't hear it on my Magna or my wife's Harley.

    I think the whine is unpleasant and distracting. My wife admitted she didn't like the sound either.

    I said, "Oh, well, at least when we're riding together your Harley will drown out that sound."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the mirrors. ST mirrors set the precedent for all others. They take some getting used to, but then you never go back.

    ReplyDelete