Clutch Help

I bled the guinness-colored fluid from my clutch in hopes that it would revive Raven's clutch function. I cleared the mississippi mud from the bottom of my clutch master cylinder's reservoir, and bled til the guinness switched to miller lite.

However, to my dismay, when I put it all back together the rear wheel still won't turn when the bike's in first gear and the clutch lever is pulled back. The rear wheel will turn when the bike's in neutral.

I'm assuming I'm looking at a clutch job to repair this.

As background, when I bought the bike last September, I noticed that when the bike was cold the bike would want to inch forward when it was in first gear, even though the clutch lever was pulled back. This sensation would go away when the bike was warm. It was never much of a problem but I noticed much crappier clutch behavior the last time I took it out. Advice from this list at that time was to start with bleeding the clutch, and move on to some "heavier lifting" if the bleeding didn't work.

I just successfully rebuilt the front brake caliper so I'm wondering how the clutch work that I need to do compares? About the same level of difficulty? Twice as hard?

Tips and gotchas welcome. Looks like I got more work to do before I ride my own ride this summer. Fortunately her bike is running and she's nice enough to let me ride.

Regards,
Ted

1984 VF500C V30 Red "Katie" (hers)
1984 VF500C V30 Black "Raven" (mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment