Re: Throttle Woes -- Bad To Worse

I'm still wrassling with my throttle, which I made inexplicably worse by disassembling and lubricating...

Vroom the throttle revs up, and never revs down. what the hell? About one out of every three throttle applications, the RPMs stay high and never come down. I can nudge the throttle down and it'll take the hint, and start dropping RPM.

Based on maggot advice, I double-checked that the throttle grip is not binding on the hard rubber plug that fills the end of the handlebar. Nor is it binding up against the throttle switch housing.
Before my lube job, it would hesitate in the snapping shut. Now it snaps shut with a click. But it stays revved now worse than before ... independent of the throttle snapping shut.

Based on what I'm seeing, I'm thinking I'm either binding inside the throttle housing, where the cables sit inside their grooves -- or, I have a kinked decelerator cable.

I double-checked the cable routing -- using my wife's matching V30 as a handy reference -- and my cables are routed fine.

One thing that I was really unsure about when I disassembled the throttle housing was the decelerator cable's weird elbow where the cable joins with the throttle housing on the handle-bar. The only way to remove it was to rotate the cable round and round while threading the elbow onto the throttle switch housing. Seems like this would twist the cable. I hope when I rethreaded the elbow back onto the housing that I used the same number of twists. If I didn't, did I end up twisting or kinking the cable inside the sheath? There are no visible kinks in the sheath.

Is there some technique for attaching and detaching these throttle cables that I don't know about? How do I know if my cables have an appropriate freedom of movement?

The throttle free-play has been adjusted according to Honda spec and seems just fine. And, as I mentioned before, visibly the throttle grip seems to snap back shut much better than it did before my disassembly.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome (again, excepting the "buy a new Yamaha" advice)...

Regards,
The Rat


1984 VF500C V30 Red "Katie" (hers) 1984 VF500C V30 Black "Raven" (mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment