Leaky Tank

Her tank was rusty on the inside when I bought the bike last year. At least it has an inline fuel filter.

Tonight when she got home from her ride I could smell gas. I could hear sizzling drips of something falling onto a hot surface. Before we brought it into the garage I pulled out the flashlight and probed around. I spotted liquid dripping, sheeting down a tube, dripping onto the rear head. Everything was still hot, but a paper towel touched to the liquid and retrieved confirmed -- gasoline.

Did you overfill it? No.

Siphoned out the gasoline, pulled off the seat and propped up the tank. Poked around with a pencil to point out the leaky spots.

There are two tubes descending from the tank, one is small (1/4") and butts right up against the floor of the tank. The other is larger (1/2" ) and attaches to a 90-degree elbow. It looks like the smaller one is leaking, but there is gas all over the general area and it's hard to tell the source of the leak.



Despite the ominous dripping of gasoline onto a hot engine, I was able to effectively repair this simply by tightening the hose clamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment