Happy Trails

I found out that my internet buddies, who call themselves the "Maggots" after the Honda Magnas that they ride, are meeting in Glouster, OH at Burr Oak State Park this weekend, May 6. This annual gathering at Burr Oak was something I wanted to attend since I began my Honda Magna ownership in August/September of 2004, and discovered the "Maggots" shortly thereafter. These are the guys who have provided technical support to me via email when I couldn't afford to have the bikes repaired at the Honda dealer. I got my hands dirty and they coached me through it. I've formed some real friendships with some of them, though I've not met any of them face to face.

However, I was oblivious to the timing of this gathering until today, whenone of the maggots brought it to my attention.

"Are you coming to Burr Oak, Ted? It's the Maggot gathering that's closest to you," said Ed.

"Oh, it would take a miracle for me to be able to attend. When is it again?" I asked.

"This weekend."

I mentioned to Carolyn tonight at dinner that it was coming up, and before I finished the sentence she said, "I think you should go."

My next step was to call cousin Brian.

"I have a crazy idea."

"Okay..."

"I'm riding to Burr Oak State Park in Ohio on Saturday -- do you want to ride with me?"

"Um, sure. Okay."

"Really? You don't have to work? Don't you work three jobs?"

"No, I'm down to two jobs. I don't have to work Saturday."

So now the plan is, I'm riding to Brian's Friday night after work, staying the night in Dayton, and he and I will ride three more hours one way on Saturday to Burr Oak to hang out with a bunch of fellow old farts that we've never met. Ride back to Dayton, crash (that is to say, sleep) in Dayton Saturday night, and then I'll ride home on Sunday morning.

Brian doesn't ride a Magna, but he rides a 78 Honda Goldwing, so he'll fitright in. Old Hondas have the Maggot seal of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment