Raven Decommissioned

Thanks to all who offered condolences, advice or technical guidance.

I am officially decommissioning Raven, my 1984 Black V30.

As I mentioned in other threads today, I determined that it had fully functional valves and heads. I now believe the noise is not valves, but something deeper. Crankshaft bearing or something. The oil had 300 miles on it and was filthy black. Worse than the year-old oil that I had taken out a month earlier.

I am not going to be digging any deeper. If I had more money invested in the bike, or more time, or felt it was worth more, I might dig deeper. But I feel that giving up and moving on is the quickest, most economical way to get back on a bike of my own.

This is a personal decision that was not easy to reach.

I moved to my wife's bike the rear fender, backrest, side covers, and tank. Now her bike is black, and has a pure unobtanium V30 backrest. Her Katie looks spiffy and shiny in her new black tins, donated from my Raven.

She already had the better of almost all other parts, excep the carbs and choke cable. I will probably transfer my carbs and choke cable to hers at a later date.

The rest of mine will be parted out on eBay starting tonight. Judging from recent selling prices of V30 parts, the bike is worth more in pieces than what I paid for it 18 months ago, when it was in working condition.

Meanwhile, in my heart I'm still a maggot. (Once a maggot always a maggot?) I still have one Magna in my garage, and I still have the budget commensurate with the maggot title. I consider myself a maggot despite the fact that my next bike may not be a V4. It may not even be a Honda.

Thanks,
Regards,

The Atgatt Rat


(Mine) 1984 V30 Black -- Raven -- decommissioned
(Hers) 1984 V30 Black -- Katie -- same girl underneath, wearing new clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment