Kawasaki KZ750

I test drove my brother-in-law’s new (to him) Kawasaki KZ750. I was very interested to test ride it because I was curious how an inline-four powerplant felt. I am kind of partial to the power of the V4, and am a little leery of the V-Twin. So the inline four was an intriguing idea.





It had an impressive growl to the exhaust. A four-into-one exhaust. The PO had removed the airbox and installed aftermarket air filters on each carb air intake.



The bike is older than mine. There wasn’t nearly the torque that mine has, but it did have a high redline and plenty of power that just seemed to be waking up at about 6000 rpm.



I would have to get used to a new shifting pattern. I imagine that I would get used to it after a day or two.



I decided that a toodle around the neighborhood wasn’t enough of a test.



Unfortunately the rear tire was original 1981 dunlop rubber, dry rotted and worn down to the cords. So I didn’t feel I could really put the bike through its paces.



I have a brand new Kenda Challenger 130/90-16 that will fit the rear tire of his bike. We’ll have to work out a deal.



I did notice how much easier the carbs would be to work on than on my V4. At least they’re all in a straight line. And all the plugs are easy to reach. Not so on the V4.



Somehow my brother-in-law mistook my interest in test-driving the bike for an interest in owning the bike. It was a misunderstanding. I think he was disappointed I didn’t want to buy it for myself. I told him it was a nice bike and all, but I was looking for something a little newer. I don’t know what I want, I’m gonna keep looking. I thought he was gonna put new tires on it and ride it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment